Saturday, June 30, 2012

Broken and Still Chosen


The beach is one of my favorite places to spend time.  The last few days my family and I have enjoyed the sand and sun while basking in one another's company.  Yesterday, my children and I spent some time walking the shores of the Intracoastal Waterway in search of shells.  Aubrey was on a mission to find a clam shell that had its two halves still in tact.  Brody just looked for anything cool, and in fact came away with a crab shell and a spare crab claw.  I kept an eye out for pretty shells, pointing them out with my toe so that the kids could have the joy of picking up the treasures and depositing them in their buckets.

As I scanned the sand, I saw a nice-sized clam shell that was in great shape.  Or so I thought.  I called Brody over, indicating the shell as he eagerly reached down for the grab.  As I started to walk on, I heard him say, "But mommy, this one is broken!"  I looked back to see him holding the shell to show me the jagged edge.  The shell was not as great looking as I had originally thought.  "It's okay buddy," I said, "you can keep it even if it's broken. It's still a pretty shell."  He shrugged okay, placed the shell in his little yellow bucket and went on his merry way.

While we continued our journey I began to reflect on that shell.  It had seemed to be almost perfect. However, because it was somewhat buried, the sand had covered the shell's flaws.  How long had that shell been laying there with its beauty showing forth for all to see but its brokenness hidden by the sand?  How many others had reached down to pick up that shell, only to see the rough edge and toss it back to the sand?  And how much are we just like that shell?

We all have been broken in this life.  And if you haven't experienced anything of the sort, don't worry -  you will.  Jesus assured us that in this life we will have troubles (see John 16:33).  The troubles and trials often leave us with jagged edges, rough to the touch, that scar our appearance.  And how do we handle our brokenness?  Do we put our imperfections on display for all to see?  Not usually.  We cover them up with all sorts of things.  Just like that shell in the sand, we seek to hide our blemishes with the surroundings of our environment so that only the "pretty" and "acceptable" parts of our lives are visible to others.  

As I pondered how much I was like that shell, I was comforted in knowing that I have a Savior who chose to pick me up ... "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." (Psalm 40:2)  Not only that,  my Redeemer died for me while I was yet a sinner (Romans 5:8).  He didn't mind that I was a broken mess, He loved me first.  And now that I am His, I take comfort in knowing that "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3) My rough edges were not a reason for Him to toss me back in sand, and my brokenness becomes the means by which He shows me He is the great healer.  

Tonight is the eve of the one year anniversary of my marriage to a wonderful husband, Landon.  He shows me Christ in so many ways and one of the first ways he did so was by choosing me, despite my fractured past, to be his wife.  After divorce, I wondered if anyone would want such a damaged woman.  Trials had injured me; and even though I had allowed Christ to repair me, I had scars.  Lots of them. I wanted to hide those imperfections in the sand, but with shaky trust I hesitantly shared them with Landon.  It was like the moment of revealing the shell, free from the sand, and discovering the jagged edges.  Would he keep me or toss me back?  I'll never forget the words he said: "Are you a new creation in Christ?" I met his gaze and said "Yes."  He responded, "Okay then, the past is over."  


He picked me up out of the sand!  He kept me!  (And yes, we were married on the beach!) Just as my heavenly groom had picked me up out of the miry pit of clay and healed my wounds, my earthly groom showed me that he loved me, no matter how many chips in my exterior.  

I think I will keep the shell that is pictured at the start of today's post.  It reminded me of some important truths in my life.  Thank you Lord for using a broken shell to refresh me with your love ... 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment