Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"What will you blog about?"

Hello there!  So if you've somehow stumbled upon this site ... I hope you get comfortable and hang around long enough to get to know me!  Most likely you're here because you already know me and saw me post my "blog" to my Facebook page.  (By the way, that's what I call stepping out in faith that I will actually figure out how to do such posting things!)  Yes, this is my first experience with a blog, and might I add I have a feeling I will change the layout and fonts as I have trouble choosing from among the myriad of possibilities.

But is the layout all that important?  Does the font and its size really make a difference?  Should my title font match the rest of the writing on the page? Does it matter that I don't really know what the google+1 gadget is on the sidebar?  And not to mention should the sidebar show up on the right or the left of my posts???  Oh!  My post!  Amazing how you get lost in all the small things and forget the one thing that is the main reason you're here ... isn't it kind of like that in life?

My husband asked me what I would write about on my blog.  I pondered for a second and said, "whatever is on my mind."  It seems that tonight, background and layout are on my mind.  But, as the description states, this site is where a sinner redeemed shares her thoughts on life in light of grace, mercy and love.  So, where does one find those three things in my scattered ramblings about fonts?

Tonight, as I set to launch this blog with the intention of writing to honor my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I found myself worried more about the details and pushing aside the main reason I wanted to write a blog.  I sit here now and wonder, how often do I occupy my time and my mind with so many details that tease my focus away from the priority of my life?  How many times to do I think I'm concerned with the most important One in my life, when really I am simply wasting my efforts on the small things in this life?  Now, hear me out, sometimes the "small things" in my life don't seem so small -- being a wife, a mom, a friend, a teacher, a homemaker, a bill payer, a maid, a cook, a taxi driver, a calendar keeper, need I go on?  Each of those roles in my life involve an innumerable amount of details and they are all important.  But they are not the most important thing ... they are not the ONE thing that requires my full attention FIRST and without apologies.

My thoughts are drawn to the story in chapter 10 of the gospel of Luke, in which we are told of Jesus visiting the home of Martha and her sister Mary.  Martha fussed about, troubling herself with all the details of being a hostess.  Mary simply sat at the feet of her Master and soaked herself in the goodness of his presence. Martha, bless her heart, how many times I have walked in her shoes when she voiced her concern over Mary's obvious lack of zeal for the work to be done.   (I'm usually complaining to my husband about how much there is to be done and how no one seems to care but me! He usually tells me "It's all good, honey!")  Listen, though, to the response Martha receives:  "And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful; and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42)


Wow.  Conviction right there.  When the Lord is present, don't sweat the small stuff (as goes the title of a popular book).  Of course the question should follow -- when is the Lord not present?  As redeemed believers, shouldn't we constantly seek to bask in His glorious presence?  Yes we should.  And the details of life?  All those 'little' necessities?  "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33)  God's got them under control ... When you make HIM your priority, He handles those things for you, multiplying your time, and even adding in a good measure of peaceful rest.

So, I may not have tackled all the details of my blog layout as of yet; but, it's all good!  I am not seeking to impress with colorful details.  I am seeking first the kingdom of my God ... the details will be added later!  Until next time ...

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! You'll figure out all the details and style stuff as you go so your blog can transition with you.

    Being a 'Martha' myself, I always want to ask Jesus what will happen when everyone gets hungry and there is no food b/c we were all sitting around listening. Is that practical or just wrong? Guess I'll have to ask Jesus that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Michelle! Good question on your mind...one that's crossed mine too! But you know, when we get the chance to ask Jesus that question we probably will be so enthralled with him that we will forget all about it! :-) Good to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. Yay for you! I have been blogging for years and I love it. What a great post too. Being a "Martha" is so easy to get wrapped up in when I need to get wrapped in Jesus!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I think this blogging thing will be my new outlet ... I used to journal a lot, and will still continue to do some...but blogging here I come! Love you too!

      Delete
  3. Natalie...way to go...you inspired me! With all the valleys I have been thru these past ten years, I had decided to write a book...I kept asking the question...'why is it God, have you chosen me to walk this road?" He answered in scripture, sermons and He himself whispered in my ear..."to go forth and share what I have deemed you worthy of to go thru so that you may learn and so that others may KNOW me..." It was an "ah ha" moment for me. All this time I have been on facebook actually searching out ppl who seemed lost and distraught over this thing we call life...in hopes I could give them insight and share My Jesus...I realized I don't know the Bible well at all even considering I have read it thru completely at least once in my life. I just don't spend enough time in the word, however I talk and walk with Him daily since becoming ill last yr. But I too have learned from others, like you ...and you have inspired me to perhaps, instead of writing 'memoirs" or a book on my (what i once thought was) "pathetic" life, maybe I should start a blog as well. Besides, who would buy a book from a nobody? Plus it leaves room for writing a childrens book which is something I have always wanted to do. So Thank you Natalie...for being MY inspiration and sharing your love for our awesome God for all to see.I will continue to check in and learn a great deal from you as well. See ya at church! In Christ, Love, Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the Lord used my post to inspire you! And remember, without Jesus we might be a "nobody", but WITH Him we are adopted into royalty! We are joint heirs with Christ ... praise the Lord for HIS worthiness!

      Delete
  4. Great first post Natalie! Your mom shared the link with me! Looking forward to future posts! --Leigh G

    ReplyDelete