Friday, June 15, 2012

"The devil's just the devil!" ... "And chips are just chips!"

I love conversations with my kids; you never know what sort of unexpected turns their jabber may take.  Some of the most enjoyable talks are the ones in which Brody, age 6, attempts to shed light on a subject with which Aubrey, age 4, is struggling.  But just yesterday they both brought something to the table that pierced their mom a lot deeper than either of them realized.

As Aubrey and I were standing around the kitchen bar, munching on potato chips and french onion dip, a theological discussion of sorts ensued.  She mentioned the Holy Spirit and then the devil.  Trying to reconcile the two in her mind, she asked me if the devil was the holy spirit.  I answered her, explaining  (in 4-year-old language) the concept of the Trinity - God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit (a tough subject) - and how the devil is none of those but instead the enemy.  I saw on her face that she still wasn't sure exactly what the devil is ... is he a person?  a spirit?  From the adjacent sunroom, Brody pipes up and exclaims with confidence, "Aubrey, the devil's just the devil!"  Satisfied by his answer, Aubrey smiles at the chip in her hand and matter-of-factly replies, "And chips are just chips!"

I'm chuckling out loud as I type ... I wish I had this moment on video and could play it over and over again.  If you know Brody and Aubrey, you can just picture the scene: the big brother so eager to enlighten his little sister, my little girl's smiling blue eyes as she enjoys her snack ... but you may ask, how did my children's honest offerings to this amusing chat pierce me?

Well, let's start with chips.  I love chips.  They are most definitely my snack of choice.  Just think with me for a minute of how great they are - they're splendidly crunchy and crispy, salty and flavorful, good to dip or just eat plain, they come in so many varieties, need I go on?  My mouth is watering for some now!  I love chips.  But, chips are just chips.  They really don't offer much good to my diet.  Let's ponder their nutritional benefits ... I'm coming up with nothing.  But oh how I enjoy them while I partake.  However, I don't feel good after eating, usually because I've indulged a bit too much.  If I'm not careful,  I can eat a whole bag before I even realize it! And then, the consequences.  I can feel the added weight of my favorite snack in my belly for hours. They leave a greasy film on my fingers that I have to go wash off.  And no matter how hard I try, there is always the tell-tale trail of crumbs that I leave behind. No matter how you crunch them, chips are just chips.

Now, as I considered the deplorable facts of my favorite snack, my son's statement came alongside in a striking parallel - "the devil's just the devil."  Consider this:  the devil was once a beautiful angel, created to glorify the one and most holy God.  But we all know how that turned out.  In his arrogant pride, he sought to glorify himself over God, and that angel was cast out of heaven.  And who is he now?  He's just the devil.  That old sly serpent. But oh how he presents himself so much better, "And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." (2 Corinthians 11:14)

Let's break it down, shall we?  Facts are, in his bewitching ways, the devil shows up behind every one of those awful things we call sins.  Now, it's easy to say "sins are bad for me."  Go ahead, say it.  Not hard at all, huh?  Just like it's easy for me to say "chips are bad for me."  Nevertheless, I partake of sins just like I partake of chips.  The chips look so good, and smell so good, and taste so good ... the sins seem so fun, so innocent, so enjoyable ... but just like the "goodness" of those chips, the pleasures of my sins are fleeting, only lasting for a season (see Hebrews 11:25).  After I give in to the temptation and indulge in my sins, I feel weighted down with guilt.  I feel dirty and in need of a spiritual hand washing.  And even after repentance and forgiveness, there are the consequences that follow, just like that trail of chip crumbs.  (Remember King David?  Sins always have consequences!)  Nothing good comes of gratifying unhealthy desires, whether in my physical body or in my spiritual soul.

So, let's stop being fooled. Chips seem great, but they are just chips - no more glory due.  And the devil?  Well, he's just "your enemy the devil who prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8)  Thank you, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, for piercing my heart through the innocent chatter of my children.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment